Classical Vocal Music
Students currently 8-11th grades are eligible to apply.
This is a Classical Vocal Program. Therefore, at the audition you should:
(1) Demonstrate a singing voice with professional potential in classical music by singing one prepared and memorized song from 24 Italian Songs and Arias of the 17th and 18th Centuries (G. Schirmer) such as "Caro mio ben," "Sebben crudele" or any other song in that book, or, one of these two English songs: "Danny Boy," "Drink to Me Only with Thine Eyes." No other songs or unaccompanied singing will be accepted. These songs may be downloaded from our website in several keys.
(2) Bring the appropriate sheet music with you to your audition in the correct key for your voice type to give to the accompanist provided at the audition; you must bring with you piano accompaniment sheet music in the correct key. Most of this music may be downloaded from our website in several different keys, so that you may determine which key is most comfortable for you to sing in. Please have your music with you in order to be allowed to sing at the audition.
(3) Demonstrate the ability to match pitches and melody patterns played for you on the piano, repeat clapped rhythms, and sing a major scale in tune on either syllables or numbers.
(4) Be able to discuss your grades and express a strong desire to explore classical vocal music.
(5) Pass a test in elemental music theory. This is completed at the end of the scheduled audition.
(6) Perform basic sight-reading skills and be able to read and perform with accuracy basic rhythmic and melodic sequences involving stepwise motion and simple beat patterns. An example of this may be downloaded from our website.
Click here to review samples of music chosen for auditions.